Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 20, 2010

More on Friday Night in Kandahar...

So I last concluded with my discussion of the not so bad food from the American Dining Facility! Yes, so.. imagine this . we're driving in a 2007 4 runner (my buddy's 4 runner is a year newer than my truck), dusty as dusty gets coming from a not so bad dinner.

My battle buddy is in the driver seat, I am in the back seat of the 4 runner...an we hear the infamous horn followed by "in coming rocket attack" not good..not good..Our fellow Soldiers and roommates had mentioned the procedure for rocket attacks, but we had not had the opportunity to experience one (you might be thinking are they crazy?)

So we jumped out of the truck landed in the dirt with a belly full of steak, shrimp, etc..."I looked at John, Are you ok?" "yes, but but I am very muddy"! At the same time, a young Soldier walked pass us on the dusty, muddy ground, and looked at us as to say "Are those guys serious?", oh they must be newies, officers or both? Prior to our arrival in Kandahar, rocket attacks periodically happened, nevertheless, it was our first one. 99% of the time, nothing happens as a result of the attacks!

No worries, if you are asking someone else if they are ok, then as my French buddy Arnaud might say "you are in great shape".

I am off to sleep. Next discussion, the Kandahar Bazzar!
Much love,

Robert

5 comments:

Ashley Robert's Sister said...

WOW! Newie...lol that was so cute. I can imagine you jumping on the ground. You take 5 showers a day so i'm sure you ran to go clean yourself up!! Love ya brother ima drop you a few lines in the like your in jail!!!lol

Reverend Blogger said...

LOL, get used to hearing that horn. We used to hear it at least 4 or 5 times a day sometimes at night.

Imagine trying to get out of your sleeping bag to get into position in the middle of the night. It's darker than midnight and you have orders to shoot whoever crosses the imaginary line in front of you.


I still wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. The Army made me the warrior I am today!:o) Thanks for sharing this bit of humor I can't wait till the next update.

Love Ya,
Lisa

HeatedBlogger said...

Thanks for all of the responses to my blog!!

Laurice said...

Love the updates! What a funny story! I hope all is well with you Carter! Be on the lookout for packages and letters...still working on that whole letter thing. For some reason, my fingers think better with a keyboard rather than pen/paper. It will give me an opportunity to practice my penmanship...it's been a while!
L

HeatedBlogger said...

Alive and Well in KAF!