Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

In Kandahar Afghanistan...

I arrived in Kandahar on Tuesday morning (local time here is 9.5 hours ahead of Washington D.C.). I flew in on a large military aircraft from Kuwait City, Kuwait. I stayed only 6 hours in Kuwait. Others headed to Afghanistan have been known to stay for 4-5 days or longer. We were very lucky to get out in a few hours (well, luck..you may differ in your opinion, whether or not rushing to a war zone is lucky, crazy, many other wordscould describe.) Nevertheless, I was happy to arrive and get my 20 square feet of real estate, meal card, and Toyota 4 Runner! Yes, I have my own 2007 Toyota 4 Runner to get to and from work and other places that I may need to go on the BASE!! (This vehicle would not survive 10 minutes off base, use your imagination know). My first night was not bad, I slept like a rock, and periodically wake up to the loud noise coming from one of my 4 roommates, I imagine that all of us were disturbing each other at some point of the night.

I am well, this place is not so bad. I am sure that I will have more time to think about the realities of it when the jetlag wears off, for now..I will enjoy the experience. We have so many different nationalities here, French, Dutch, Germans, Romanians, Canadians, British, etc etc.. lots of differents choices of food, The American dining facility is called " Niagara" and the British one is called "Cambridge". All of the facilities are open to all Soldiers regardless of which of the NATO countries they represent!! This should be an interesting experience.

Robert
17 Feb 2010.

3 comments:

magali said...

I'm happy to hear from you, I often visit your blog to have news, take care of you Robert, I will pray for you!!

Reverend Blogger said...

Glad to hear all is well! I will tell everyone to check the blog so they can comment. All is well here, Mardi Gras is now over thank God! So tired of seeing purple, gold, and green. Only someone from here would even think to put those three colors together. Hope you brought your camera, send me some pics soon....Oh did you bring an air mattress? Send me the list of what's allowed in your care package so we can get something sent asap.....

Unknown said...

Glad to hear from you and to know you made it safely. You better check the breaks, gas peddle and computer board on that Toyota before you take it to far :)

I heard the brothers were hosting a Step Show there either on the 17 or 18; see what you can find out.

The chapter is in Wichita Falls this weekend hosting the TCAC Convention - we'll be praying for you and all the brothers there.