Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 04, 2010

"Virtual Teaching" Live from Afghanistan

As many of you are aware, since 2000 I have had the opportunity to teach distance learning or virtual courses. As a result, I have been extremely busy with my day job and my night job over the last several days. It is midterm exam time; and time for many excuses "why I have not scored well on the assignments and exams" thus far.

For me, teaching has always allowed me to connect with students from across the globe. In past semesters I taught Soldiers deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq and periodically I would receive an email, "Sir or Dr. Carter, I apologize for not taking the exam, but we lost power on the base in xxxx" or " Sir, I was out on patrol and did not get the opportunity to finish my assignment, but I will". These are the types of stories that I encountered from my brothers deployed defending our Nation. I am sure that all is these were valid excuses (smile!). Nevertheless, they all deserved extra time given the situation that confronted them daily.

So when I received the order to deploy to Afghanistan, I decided to continue my teaching efforts. Nevermind the fact I knew that I would miss teaching, this opportunity would provide me with a chance to experience what it is like to be the "deployed instructor".

So, I am here teaching 4 microbiology courses! Yes, it is challenging but a rewarding experience. "If it was not challenging I would not do it!".Nevertheless, it is possible that one of my students maybe located here on the same base, or one nearby.

So with that said, if I get an email "Sir, I am in Kandahar Afghanistan and we lost power for three days or the internet was down". I will be able to respond with "that is not possible, I am emailing you from next door".


God grant me the Serenity to accept the things, I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And Wisdom to know the difference.

I know that I am having an impact on lives of my students (at least the ones that finish the course with an A, have uttered such things, I am sure that the ones that finished my courses with an F, have uttered other things).

Although, we do not see it daily, I am sure that we are also having an impact on the students and young folks in here in Afghanistan. Maybe one day I will have a student from Kandahar in one of my online course, that is change that we can believe in and hope for.

5 comments:

Reverend Blogger said...

Lol, I see you are keeping up your mind boggling schedule. I'm sure your students love you all the more for your committment to teach them; whatever the circumstances.

Anonymous said...

In any circumstances, you don't go far away from your convictions...respect!!
We can't save or change people but we can give them keys to do it themselves...
bisous

Anonymous said...

from Magali

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to have such a dedicated, knowledgeable instructor. Although, we can't see it when we're students, the end result of encountering and enduring the coursework of the instructor who is unrelenting is priceless. Excuses, late assignments...all of that is foreign to me :-).-Nina

Don Watenpaugh said...

Major Carter said: "Maybe one day I will have a student from Kandahar in one of my online courses, that is change that we can believe in and hope for."

AMEN!!!