Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 26, 2010

Driving in Afghanistan: Some things will never Change!

So, what happened was...the picture and story tells it all....I was driving and drove into a T Barrier; damaged the tire and the front end of the 2006 4 Runner.. so, the good SFC Smith, our NCOIC (Non-commissioned officer in charge) did a news story on it. NCOs help us, poor Officers stay in place and cover for us when stuff go wrong. I need 3 or 4 NCOs to stay out of trouble. Smith and my team wanted to highlight my deficiency. I attempted to hide it, but my battle buddy dimed me out to Smith.  So, Smith did what a good NCO does gave me a hard time and helped me repair the truck. My co-pilot, the truck, and I survived. My battle buddy is confident that he is more likely to die from my driving than any other means. Any one that has ever been in my car with me can confirm this....The good thing is that the speed limit is only 5 miles per hour (see the sign in the picture).  Wow, those T Barriers! Mom, we are in great shape, no injuries, only my pride.....however my team will never let me live this one down.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is funny!! LOL!! I have often thought that I should get a t-shirt that says "I survived riding in a car with Maj. Dr. Robert Carter ;) --CR

Reverend Blogger said...

LOL...I prayed in every language I know as we drove through the DC streets for the Inauguration! Be careful and buckle up...love ya.

Robert's Sister said...

lol.. if anybody know how bad my brother drive is me!! OMG! I had to hold on like I was on a roller coaster. You wouldn't believe the way Robert was driving in France when we were going up the mountains!! Well then again u can imagine.. O yea & we were in the 2dr red jeep.. I thought I was gonna be over that mountain top!! love you brother

Anonymous said...

Ahhh I remember you scaring the heck out of me driving in the mini-cooper on the Queensland coast road. I thought my time was up. And I can't forget the driving through NYC and through new england. Scary, but I made it!

Mona said...

lmbo!! so true.

Pop Health View said...

Hilarious!!! Did you see the Prez?

mom said...

My,My,My,son you are just as dangerous in 4 wheeler as in car. Were you driving and looking in the back seat? Thank God you survived the crash,and your one and only transportation could be repaired. Love you mom.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're OK. Whooo, that driving has NOT changed (LOL). I thought I was going to die in the first tornado to hit downtown Ft. Worth. I survived that, but the next night I got into a Jeep Grand Cherokee with Robert Carter and I really saw my life flash before my eyes. By the time I got out of the truck my hand was cramping and raw from holding on to the door!!:-) Love and hugs, Nina

Laurice said...

We've all had days just like that!!! I have a similar incident trying to turn the volume up on my radio for a Micheal Jackson song in my green Toyota on College Drive in Baton Rouge. Ran up the curb and the rest is history. No such incidents in New England...not yet! Glad you are OK!
L

Laurice said...

Could it just be a Toyota thing?:-)

Don Watenpaugh said...

Robert, please, just always let someone else drive. It's what I do, and it works really well. Thank and appreciate them. Robert, they WANT to drive, it's OK. It's safer for you and everyone. Plus, you deserve it.

PS - I've always LIKED Robert's driving, which is a really BAD testimonial.