Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Connecting People: Walking with Giants in Unknown Places

Although, I grew up in a relatively remote corner of Southwest Louisiana, I developed warm and genuine interest in people from all walks of life. It all started when my grandmother gave me my first set of Funk & Wagnall's encyclopedias (For my 4th grade friends, encyclopedias were the 'Internet" to us over 30 years old). I recall reading those books for hours on end; fascinated by the places, people, photographs, and the amazing facts of the world!

Reading anything and everything that I could get my hands on, in part, has contributed to me being able to connect with people regardless of their nationality, political interests, or part of the world that they happened to have came from. Observing and talking with Giants (role models) and the elderly (more mature) people around me over the years, has been key in my development and comfort of being in unknown places with different faces.

As a kid, I spent too much time asking about the lives and ideas of others. Because I was fully engaged with whomever I was "interviewing (I asked far too many questions)", the next time that we talked or saw each other I remembered the minor details of what had been previously discussed.

Recently, "obviously when you are serving time (As we refer to Kandahar)" there is time to think, ponder, reponder (Is that a word?, reponder). I have recalled many of the exchanges that I have had with others over the years. I have had many conversations with people from many corners of the world. Many of these interactions were the best thing that happened that day.

I have always enjoyed connecting people together that could possibly do more for society by working together. Spotting special gifts in people is a talent that I feel has allowed me to help move ideas and various agendas along (at least in my mind). Nevertheless, I have personally fallen short at times of not fully committing to situations, activities, and relationships alike; mainly due to over tasking myself.

There are organizations doing great things like improving the lives of millions by attempting to eliminate infectious and chronic diseases, improve educational and political infrastructure, etc.

I am happy to be a small part of many concerted efforts to promote better health, education, and welfare in our global society. My personal contributions have been more effective, in part, by helping to bring the right people together and walking with Giants of our past, present, and future in unknown places!

We cannot achieve our goals personal or as a society alone, connecting people and building relationships are essential. We are trying to do that here daily.

2 comments:

Mona said...

yes, there are a lot of organizations doing good work in all parts of the world and getting organizations who are working in the same countries and basically doing the same work is very important. i just got back from haiti and can talka bout that later...but that was one problem that i saw.

Don Watenpaugh said...

Robert, that entry was one of the most important and profound things I've read recently. What if we were all like that? Be very sure your blog is all saved somewhere/backed up so your kids and grandkids can read it!