Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 23, 2010

My journey in Afghanistan

My journey in Afghanistan has been amazing. There were good times and bad times. There were bad smells and good ones. I must say that I have experienced more bad ones than good. Yes… 6 months without the scent of flowers, perfume in the air as someone passed by in the hallways, or amazing smell of freshly cooked food; fish, steak, etc. Most of what my nose encountered was less than desirable. Nevertheless, life is good.

By far the infamous “Poo Pond” or as the French might say “Lac du Merde”, tops the all time list of worst smells imaginable.

The scent of fresh “Poo” is very distinguishable. It is described by many as combination of a toxic waste dump and restroom that you would immediately walk out of and return back to it in one or two hours, or locate an alternative toilet if at all possible.
The signature photo of ones stay at Kandahar Airfield (KAF) is a photo of the “Poo Pond” in the background. It is as famous to the precious few inhabitants of KAF as a photograph of oneself in front of the Eiffel Tower in Paris or the Statue of Liberty in New York City.

It is rumored that a Marine since decided to engage in a swim across the infamous pond. Whether or not this is true, I wonder.

While, this photo is evidence that I engaged in a brief stay in the bio-hazardous pond of KAF, or is it?

Was Rob in the pond or photo shopped into it? You look and decide for yourself. My roommate is a computer geek!

With love from KAF, only 2 weeks remaining. What will I do without the notorious aroma of the Poo Pond?

What will I do?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey babes, I cannot tell you how glad I am to see you so happy in those pictures and how especially happy that your coming home soon.. I dont think you know how much I miss you. I am starving to see you and anxiously waiting to hear about your experiences in Afghanistan. Oh, I almost forgot. I dont believe you were in that body of water, not even for a second but if you said you were I'll take your word for it. :-)

With all my love,
:-)

Revblogger said...

Hmmmmm, you'll try anything once, so just for the experience I'm willing to bet you took a dunk in the PAF. If not your roomate is really good. See you soon. Love Ya, Aunt Lisa

Anonymous said...

Umm....It looks like your standing with your hands up, so I don't think you took a swim. I hope the rest of your journey is as uneventful as it can be.

Safe travels,

Ramona

Anonymous said...

me again. i meant uneventful in the sense that is increased military activity (in a negative way). Hope you do have more moments in fellowship and downtime with your fellow soldiers.

wishing you the best!

Ramona

MOM said...

AS REAL AS THE PICTURE LOOKS, I DON'T THINK YOU WERE THAT EAGER TO TAKE A SWIM!!!MY BET IS YOUR ROOMATE IS REALLY GOOD. LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU SOON. LOVE YOU.

Anonymous said...

Well I enjoyed the article at hand. Know that you would even step foot into that mess(SMH) knowing that you wouldn't dare, But leave it up too you to sruprise us all. But It you said it I might have way believe it ;-)
Waiting for your arrival, til you are home sweet! Home sweet! The Sweet smell of a homecook meal flowing from the kitchen, sound of jazz without guns shots in the back ground and The smell Dolce and gabbana when you walk into the room. Waiting to sit and chat about the short nights and long days. The Good one and the not so good. But just to sit hear your voice is medicine enough for the soul.