Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 04, 2010

My Favorite Poem "Invictus" by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.






In the fell clutch of circumstance


I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.



Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.



It matters not how strait the gate,


How charged with punishments the scroll.


I am the master of my fate:


I am the captain of my soul.



Here, strait means narrow, restricted. To escape from “the fell clutch of circumstance” and “bludgeonings of chance,” the speaker must pass through a narrow gate. The author believes he can do so—in spite of the punishments that fate has allotted him—because his iron will refuses to bend.

This poem sums up a way of life and the responsibilities that we have in life. It is by far better to face up to your actions and the results thereof. If you are willing to take the credit for the positive results of your actions, you must be equally prepared to take the blame for the negative.

I think that he was trying to say that we can in some control our future. No one else can prevent our down falls in life.

Many people have been inspired by this poem when faced with challenging circumstances. 

It full meaning has been debated by scholars and others for centuries.


4th July 2010.
Kandahar Afghanistan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its one of those rare poem like a rare piece of art that everyone would give their own (intimate)translation. Dont you just love that during and after reading it, your immediately sent into a reflective mode? Thanks for sharing this one.
All the great men are inspired by this poem. In my book you Robert Carter lll are the greatest of them all :-)
Love You!! (:-) (-:)

MOM said...

WELL SAID BY ANONYMOUS, YOU ARE THE GREATEST OF THEM ALL. TAKE CARE. LOVE YOU MOM.

HeatedBlogger said...

thanks for the comments

Anonymous said...

I really like the way that it capture the braveness of the Soldier, Though he has thoughts of fear it is never displayed trusting God where ever his head may be laid. It is the essence of a soldiers heart...I love it...


Ms.Hawkins