Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Under the Kandahar sun

It has been a week or more since my last blog posting. However, I have been busy with work while avoiding the desert heat.  After few months in Kandahar, It feels a little like you've landed in another universe or landed in a minimal security prison. Either way, you may wonder to yourself "where did I go wrong?".  NOT really, life has not been so bad. It is amazing how the smallest things can make you so happy when your daily luxuries have been temporary removed.
I've been lucky in many ways thus far during my tour in Afghanistan. First of all, I have received amazing support from all of you, thanks for the awesome, thoughtful notes, care packets, swedish fish, and all that you have done for me.  Special thanks to my Friends from France, awesome care packet, "fatty duck liver has never taste so good, foie gras, oui oui"! I am much happier now. Merci Beaucoup et bientôt.

And then there is my cartel under the Kandahar sun.  I have been extremely fortunate to have a great team of folks to work with, Rod "Naplam" Brigano, Andy "The Tick, McClaw, Brian "The Repo Man" Southoni, Anisa "Lucky Lady" Rodriquez, and Jim "The Regulator" Smith. I have acquired the "mob name", Six Toes. In addition, My dear friend from Louisiana bought me to a meeting of men in search of becoming better men, fathers, husbands, etc. I appreciate my friend for this invitation as the discussions of becoming an Authentic Men have been awesome.

And finally, I have adapted a few survival tips for my deployment. Funny or not so funny, there are similarities between a military deployment and prison, although I have had limited experience with both.

Nevertheless, Prison (and War) is something we all want to avoid, but the time may come when you have to spend some time there (whether or not you are guilty). If you follow some basic rules, your stay maybe more tolerable.

1. Do not get involved with the wrong people. I have tryed to avoid the wrong people. Since, I am in a war zone, not sure how to identify the wrong people?

2. Do not discuss your crime. I do not have a crime, I volunteered! Since, most people did not volunteer, do not discuss that you volunteered. However, time is shorter for volunteers, another reason not to discuss it. Only discuss "how long you have" with other volunteers. 

3. Work out, Working out not only helps to pass the time, it also helps to to bulk you up – making you less of a target. You should not appear weak – this means walking with your head up – do not look at your feet while you walk. Avoid the temptation to get a tattoo – they often lead to diseases like hepatitis (not sure, but I will avoid getting tattoes in Afghanistan).

4. Be respectful and polite. This is very important when anyone has a gun or two. Always be polite and respectful to other prisoners. You do not want to make enemies in war zone, as you have enough as it is.

Finally, remember, being in prison is like being at war – so it is better not to commit a crime in the first place.


4 comments:

Reverend Blogger said...

I agree wholeheartedly!How are you nephew? Sounds like you are having the time of your life.Rafiki will need to go on a diet soon, he's a big boy! Told your mom to bring him by so we can contact you via skype.Let me know when you're on and we'll try to coordinate this. Take Care and keep exercising...

HeatedBlogger said...

I am good, interesting experience.

Mona said...

keep well.

HeatedBlogger said...

keep well.