Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Things Soldiers like to eat...Swedish Fish, Beef Jerky, etc

The hottest fish in town are "Swedish Fish".  Swedish Fish are chewy winegum candies especially notable apart from other varieties of winegums in Sweden.

In Sweden, the Swedish Fish candy is marketed under the name "pastellfiskar", literally "pastel colored fishes". The fish in Sweden are generally much paler in color and more translucent (save the black fish).

The green fish is not lime flavored; the green candy color in Scandinavia is usually associated with apple or pear flavor. They are slightly thicker, have the text "Malaco" instead of "Swedish" embossed, and stick less to the teeth.

All stories have an irony, when I lived in France I visited some friends in Sweden.  I asked about purchasing some since they were not sold in France,...to my surprise ..Swedish are not sold in Sweden..go figure. So imported Swedish fish back to Sweden..my friends loved the candy and the idea that "Americans" enjoyed them so much.

So, this brings me to my point, Americans love them so much, "American Soldiers" love them even more..Swedish Fish are to die for...not really, but maybe a "petite wound".   If we receive enough Swedish Fish, then we can share with the Afghans....maybe one day we will have Afghani Fish.

So in Swedish "skicka fisk" =  please send fish.   Soldater älskar dem = Soldiers love them

5 comments:

HeatedBlogger said...

no comments yet....

Anonymous said...

Thank you robert to take time to tell us your adventure, no day seems to look like others days.Thank you for all the stories: bottles of water,I'm sure you miss french wine :-) , the small accident, it gave me the occasion to think about your wonderful car and the way you drive in our mountains...
Take care of you
Bisous
Magali
Excuse me, my english is not so good...

Mona said...

reminds me of the licorice candies in the Netherlands. can't remember whether i liked the fish...hope you get your fish.

Anonymous said...

Hey Robert - I can't believe soldiers like you - like swedish fish, just like me. I haven't had Swedish fish since last year, but I'm going to try to find a store so I can have some and we can send a few packs to you guys. But my mom thinks she can only find the red ones in the US. Hope you're feeling well and having fun.

Reverend Blogger said...

Just sent you some Red Swedish Fish, enjoy and let me know when you receive them...