Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 27, 2017

My Science Journey and Beyond

I want all of you to know a secret.  Many, and I mean many, people who go into science never contemplated such a career in the first place.  I want to use this to tell you about my personal journey through science.
It all started at the end of high school.  I remember talking to my guidance counselor about my future.  After participating in a summer program in Washington, I was convinced that I wanted to become a Foreign Service official.  My motivations were very simple—I believed in making the world a better place for humanity.  I genuinely saw myself as a citizen of this planet, and I wanted to connect with people all over the world.
When I came to college, however, things changed completely.  I took courses from all disciplines, which included chemistry, mathematics, English, and political science.  One day, I approached my chemistry professor and asked him if I could do research as an undergraduate.  He took me to the dark dungeon known as his lab and introduced me to a completely different universe, one of particles, lasers, and levitating objects!

No comments: